Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Boring Birthday Rant

Today I turn 30, something everyone tells me is a big deal in terms of birthdays, however, the status quo response.....'I don't feel any different?'

I'd like to think of it like Jeff Buckley once said before the undercurrent of the mighty Mississippi sucked him under.....'Too young to hold on, too old to just break free and run.' Before I can really grasp what I'm too old for, and what I'm still young enough for, I have to reflect on the past, and make a current assessment of my life.

How did I get here? How did I one day wake up staying with my wonderful sister, owning a house I don't live in?, and thanks Collin for letting me 'use' your room. How have I managed to create friendships, mangle them, still hold on to them, and grow with them? What exactly is 'friend and family opinion' of Robert?..... as I'm sure, as with everyone, we are fodder for conversation in various circles.

I've lived life by experience and not discipline to this point, and I don't regret a single minute of it, except that balance on the credit card. I've crossed the pond 5 times, but I barely have a 'pot to piss in.' I've went to more live shows than probably a bottom third of my hometown combined causing a very lopsided state of mind, as as Cake says, yes, the liver does pain dearly now for youthful magic moments.

I've had big, and will continue to have them. The accountant analogy is to plug the holes in your leaky financial bucket of life.....well my philosophy is to figure out how to get more water in the bucket, letting a continuous flow of water in and out. (I just love the cheesy analogies).
Material possessions in life are second, doesn't mean I don't have em', don't want em', just that I'd rather go see the Toshi-meister in Japan instead of the new bedroom suite. I'd rather go see Man Man in a few weeks instead of happy hour with the Smiths, and I'd rather watch a good show on YouTube than your average sitcom. Is there anyway you can interface youtube with the big tv?

What does that leave for the future, well maybe the future looks so bright I gotta wear shades, but maybe I'll be doomed to hell due to being scatterbrained. I look at my fellow '30 somethings' and admire parents (especially my sistas), people who have it figured out (or at least think they do -- which means they don't do the sniff test of clothes laying on the floor and say 'that'll do for today'), and their ability to live more comfortably as disciplines make way for the different experiences of parenthood, badasses in careers, etc, etc.

If you're young, not a democrat you have no heart, if you're old and not republican, you have no brain. Doubt that, if you vote before you look at the issue and the individual, you're a fool, no matter what age.

What do I have to enhance......? Binge drinking, Social circles and interaction, career choices, maybe start listening to Michael Bolton, maybe Preporation H, increased family participation, learning when to go to bed, taking better care of what I eat, what I wear, what I think, what I say, who I say it to, and understanding that a brutally honest opinion is the best way to go, but a lot can't deal with it, being more aware that every decision carries with it trade-offs, learning to be in touch more with pop culture in terms of TV and American football otherwise I'll be a lonely mofo.

And most importantly figuring out a way to interact with the big wide world, I'm captivated by it, and can't get enough of it....truth is stranger than fiction, and unbiased unadulterated opinions (AKA THE TRUTH and ANSWERS) are sooner found on the net rather than the tv......thanks for that AL.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Robert!!!! Whoo Hoo the Big 30.

Melanie said...

Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to Roberto, Happy birthday to you!!!!

Anonymous said...

Your 30th Birthday, It is a joke to everyone that is young until it happens to you!

Manuel