Sunday, January 14, 2007

And When you Pray for Independence, Boy, You Better Stand Your Ground

The weekly review -- let's see, the highlight of my week was Friday night, geeking out with some private stock, and listening to none other than Bon Jovi's New Jersey.

If I were a rock star from the 80's it would have to be Bon Jovi. Why you ask? Well, if you look at the track record, he's thrown the best parties, he's still together with his band, of course you have the typical track record of dating super models, he still sells out abnormally large places in Switzerland, and on top of it all, he's in control, and he's a nice guy.

It got me thinking about another nice guy, in a roundabout bizarre kinda way, Perry Farrell. First years of college I LOVED the 'Kettle Whistle' version of 'Been Caught Stealing,' in which Perry has the following one way dialogue with a 'fan(s).' I can't remember it fully, but it goes something like this.

"You guys like stealing?" -- "What about another man's girl? Would you steal another man's girl?" -- "Is there no chivalry in your soul?" --
-- "How insecure are you pal?" -- "Do you need to steal another man's girl,
or can't you find one on your own?" -- "I just wanted to ask you
that."

This got me thinking about the differences between chivalry and cowardice and how they play the role in modern day society. I don't know how I'm linking this together, but somewhere in the course of the last ten years, this is how my mind interprets things.

I would think almost everyone of us has these two traits working transparently within us. I used to be a coward in many senses, but one day something snapped in me that said, "Hey, If that dude can do it, so can I." Pointing back to Mr Wise Sondre Lerche says 'nothing stays the same, I stand in my own way,' a great line that speaks of the cliche that you yourself are your own worse enemy. (Isn't it funny how so many songs or poetry speaks of the same scenarios, but is able to phrase things differently, putting emphasis on different subtleties....---I'm sure there is a literary word for this, but I don't know it.)

Chivalry, loosely define --- brave, courteous and honourable behaviour -- (one day I'd like to write a book 'Feminism, from a dude who has sympathy to the cause --- for I believe true feminists are a 'sect' who truly 'get it,' along with true progressive patriots like MLK and this dude.

I think about how chivalry affects us as individuals. I try to take the 'high road' in times of question, because it projects 'good energy,' and there's no tellin' what your sphere of influence is most of the time, I guess you could consider it the 'role model' train of thought.....sorta. Before I go to bed, I often think about the people who are closest and dearest in my life, the ones who have played a major part in shaping who I am, people who have had a lasting contribution to my life, as certainly I give the nod to the gods to say, I wish GREAT THINGS to all these people, and I forgot who said it, but I've come to the realization, it's not a crazy life, its just life.

I believe chivalry in this day and age is support, tolerance and understanding. I've always known it's easy to turn a cold shoulder to a misunderstanding (especially when it comes to 'problems of the heart), however, I've learned if you choose not to turn the cold shoulder, you can gain a tremendous incite as to who you are as an individual human being, and that knowledge is power, at least I think it is.

There are other viewpoints.....I saw a bumper sticker...said 'Fake, It's the New Real,' and I think gee, if that is the case, my whole charade up there about chivalry is trumped by being 'fake', which is the new real in many circumstances. Being fake is an extreme form of cowardly behavior. It says, I haven't took the time to figure out who I am, and I am going to do the best imitation of myself, and mimic the fashionable trends and ways of life that are 'safe.'

I can see a light at the end of the tunnel on an idealized chivalry, and I need help to get there, and the puzzles pieces have to fall into place, and lace some luck in with it all. In the meantime, all we can do as individuals is work with who you are and what you've got, but I think most of us would be lying to ourselves if we thought we 'had it down.'

It takes courage to stand for what you believe, and often it goes un-noticed in society because fake is the new real. We live in a society where the good guy doesn't slay the dragon and save the princess, it's not that easy anymore. Now, it's inner demons, and they are worse than any sorta medieval dragon one could encounter, it DOES involve pain to look inside......but THANKFULLY (dripping sarcasm) we have a pill for that. :-)

1 comment:

Lee said...

Politics according to Jack Bauer:

F**k diplomacy.

Actions speak louder than words. Though shouting can also be effective.

If you shoot a man's wife in the knee and he still doesn't give you the information, he's bad.

Revenge is the cruelest trick. I've seen it taken out on others, I've been victim to it, I've even done it myself. But it doesn't change anything, and it doesn't bring comfort.

Trust is the key to survival. And by trust, I mean getting out of the way and letting me do what I need to do.

I eat a lot of bananas. They're a good source of vitamin B and potassium. They're also easy to take on the move.

If you have to trust someone, make it a quirky computer genius.

If I say "dammit," either something bad just happened, something bad is about to happen, or I'm going to do something drastic.

Any man can make a mistake. It's what he does to remedy that mistake that shows his character.

You better know who you are before you go undercover. If you don't, you could easily lose yourself.

Always carry at least one spare fully charged cell-phone battery.

So many times when I thought there was no more time, there was.

When interrogating a suspect, I've often found it effective to ask the question loudly and repeat it several times.

Remember, terrorists use the phone as much as we do.

It's all key cards and thumb drives these days.

If the president of the United States ever orders you to shoot your boss in the head at point-blank range in cold blood, take a deep breath, ask God to forgive you, and just do it.

Without conscience, a man becomes his worst enemy.

Sometimes it's necessary to create a believable diversion, even at the risk of others thinking you're an ***hole.

Dead terrorists can often be effectively used as human shields. So can live ones.

Bureaucrats want results but never want to get their hands dirty.

The safety of the people I love is worth any sacrifice. Even their trust.

Some people don't deserve to die, but that's not my call.

Serbs have a different word for everything.

If you don't have a Taser gun, the wires from a lamp will deliver the current needed to shock your subject just enough to get him to give up the information you need without doing any permanent damage.

Sometimes you have to do the wrong thing for the right reasons.

You can't save everyone.

If you see me running down the street, it's probably a good idea to take cover.

Don't piss off the Chinese.