Saturday, April 21, 2007

I Dream, I Am a Circle Lost in the Clouds

Doom and gloom, easily the most depressing thing I've ever read, The Sorrows of Young Werther. Astounding how a piece of literature can make the suicide rate increase on its release.

Simply AMAZING piece of literature, written in 'blog format' as his regular account of his life which lead to his demise. I'm of the opinion that you have to tear yourself down with this stuff, only to rise up more vibrantly than ever.

Here's a passage, unfortunately some indisputable grim realities in here ----

"When I observe the restrictions that lock up a person's active and probing powers, when I see how all activity is directed toward achieving the satisfaction of needs that in turn have no goal but to prolong our miserable existence, and that all reassurance about certain points of inquiry is only a dreaming resignation, since one paints with colorful figures and airy views the walls within which one sits imprisoned -- all that, Wilhelm, makes me mute. Again, more in presentiment and obscure desire than in portrayal and vital power. There everything swims before my senses, and so dreaming I smile on in the world."

No comments: