Sunday, August 12, 2007

We're Not Gonna Take It, NO We Ain't Gonna Take It

Tonight as I sit here with a whole lot and a whole lot of nothing on my mind, I'm reminded of the 7th grade literary class that spoke of (in my mind) the ultimate conflict, MAN VS HIMSELF.

Am I sitting here right now because I actually have to take a look at man vs himself all the time, or is it because it's a healthy thing to do, something that will stick to you forever, regardless of circumstances. I'm thinking to man vs himself conflict is what moves the stone, its the ultimate motivator in a world full of mixed priorities.

There's an old proverb from somewhere that says 'Time is a made thing, to say you don't have time, means you don't want to.' Certainly in any case you will have time to do the things you WANT to do, you make time. If I found out Neil Hannon was coming to SA tomorrow at 10am, I'd be there at all costs. If I knew there were dire straits (not the band but in real life) in my family, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

So what is time, and why is he pappa? I'd like to think its because he's the ultimate say in what goes on in your life. He's the ultimate 'clock is ticking' being that determines what you do with your life. What are you opportunity costs? If I'm drinking and boozing I'm not going to have a whole lot of time for self enrichment. If I'm whoring around, it's instant gratification, but it doesn't bode well if you want to have a family, have offspring, and cultivate relationships with kids.

Man vs himself constantly asks himself, what am I doing here, and what do I need to do to make myself happy. I'd like to think as the man with inner demons goes through this conflict, happiness is met with him every step of the way by means of achievement, but means of pulling out the root of the problem and gnawing on it (hopefully its not a wasabi root.)

Man vs himself is where I like to be, I find comfort there, I find I can relate to a lot of people there, and not on a superficial level. Let's get down to it in the first 5 minutes, the first 5 days, the first 5 months, lets ride on instinct get'r done and find the next hill to climb, look back every now and then go, whew, thats bada$$.

As the world turns, the circle of life continues, deviants are born and die everyday. It's a toss up, what's the inspiration, man vs himself inspiring man vs nature, or vice versa. Maybe one day I'll turn my man vs himself learning's outward and try to conquer something natural. That may be a sea change I need in life.

No comments: