Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Worlds above and worlds below, The sun shines on the black clouds hanging over the domain

I got asked a question today, if your life was a book, how would it read? I am going to try to answer that, but more in context of the soundtrack of my life.

But first, who would have thought the boys back home would ever see me in an army vest, well here it is, not really in the army vest context, and unless global conquest is sought by a DEVELOPED country, it ain't going to happen in context of battle.


The boys back home, or everyone for that matter always said I have an affinity to 'homo' music, so be it. I'll take the cunning lyrics of Belle and Sebastian any day over something that 'sounds' hardcore that is 'sissy'.

Same thing with my life I suppose, I enjoy finding the 'gentle giants,' those who fly under the radar, and those who understand that plurality never amounts to any good. My life often times is 'four seasons in one day' as depicted by the boys from Australia.

I would like to see the book of my life being read as someone who's gone a long way, and something that is edgy to a point, but then tapers off but still is good. I would say kinda like Bon Jovi, a dude who arguably was a bit edgy in the 80's, then got a haircut and sang 'its my life,' and it worked, and in the process of it all, he's said to have thrown the best parties ever. Poison on the other hand burned out with sex and drugs. There's the spread.

I want the book to read as if I've always taken the long hard road, especially on what I would deem where I am right now in life, lets just call it chapter 5, and up. I want someone or myself outside looking in to go, damn he did this.....and this.....damn that's cool.

I want it to be original, not only in the sense that I've hidden my sources, but also in the sense that I've made a very useful mashup of all these sources and people who are influenced by me can take away something valuable.

I want it to say that I changed the world for the better, and that I worked hard and didn't use excuses all that much.

I want it to say I saw the world cup, been to a third of the countries on the planet, that I stumbled into numerous situations that were 'above my head' and was not only able to tread water but 'motorboat' my way around comfortably. I'd like to have a great career, be a great husband, and a good dad (got to pass on the genetic code.)

Most importantly I want it to be funny, and I want it to be funny to the point where I'm laughing at myself. I think once you get to a point where I can laugh at myself (chapter 3), and truly have a conversation with your intuition (chapter 7), I'll have reached a critical success factor in life.

However it all happens in life, I like the excerpt below, and wish we could live life backwards. Wouldn't that just be grand.

Perspectives On Life, by George Carlin

"The most unfair thing about life is the way it ends. I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time. What do you get at the end of it? A death. What's that, a bonus?
I think the life cycle is all backwards. You should die first, get it out of the way.

Then you live in an old age home. You get kicked out when you're too young, you get a gold watch, you go to work. You work forty years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement.

You do drugs, alcohol, you party, you get ready for high school. You go to grade school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities, you become a little baby, you go back into the womb, you spend your last nine months floating...then you finish off as an orgasm.

1 comment:

SG said...

I would like the book of my life to read like a contrary story to the old “Cat In The Cradle” song. I would like my story to read of a man who started married/family-life focused on his career. But, he quickly learned the important things in life before he was too late. Spent time with his wife and children that they would all remember.

A boring, yet heart-warming story of man versus himself.