Monday, April 14, 2008

I smell the engine grease and mint the wind is blending Under the moan of rotting elm in the silo floor

Jupiter Hotel Portland was the site of the James Mercer, Steve Malkmus set, I must say it was extraordinary, a benefit for an Elementary School. Brilliant, even though the crowd talked through both sets.



The lights at the Jupiter are black lights, the decor is IKEAish which is the fashionable thing to do, and hipsters galore. What do I do? Go to Wal Mart and get me a nice faded glory polo so I can look presentable at the gig.


James Mercer at his finest.


Malkmus seemed to be a bit boozed up, after the set, I was thinking, man I hope James wasn't drinking with Stephen before the show!


Rolando and Me enroute to Bside bar, a local dive.


Mike D and I, you know, one of those moments where we couldn't find anyone to take a picture of all 3 of us.


The 'Doug Fir', the joining restro to the Jupiter, amazing amazing amazing, can't say anything but good about the place, from service to drinks to prices to environment.


Enroute to the early gig, I can't even begin to tell you how amazing the zoom in this camera is.


Lots of planes trains and automobiles in the city, but they aren't intrusive at all.


I like the billboards around town, all promoting health and the environment rather than burgers


Broadway Bar, one of the microbrews we hit, I had an Amber that was great, but waking up at 4 that morning made me proceed to take a nap in the tavern while Rolando and Mike D shot pool.


This place was great too, I had a chicken something or another, but the bread here was amazing.


The gig mentioned above was also a fundraiser for an elementary school. I didn't know this at first, and as they 'registered' me, I said 'I ain't gonna buy anything', and I felt bad when the lady gave me a sad look, when I knew why I understood.


A long walk back to the hotel after a day of walking around touring the city, hopping into a bar every now and then, and just taking in the general atmosphere. We stayed right between those two symmetrical things in the distance, a not-too-nice hotel


Mt Hood is near Ptown, we flew right over it enroute to the city, it looks BIG from the airplane. Really cool looking!


Lots of murals all around town, tributes to animals everwhere.


I hung out for an hour or so in the park by the river and took in the scenery. The town seems to be broken into two sides, both sides sharing each of the cool landmarks, maybe a bit heavy on the downtown side.


powells bookstore, this thing is amazing, cant describe it, just got to see it.


energy drink supposedly organic, haven't tasted anything like this on the planet


roland mike d city center


tree near the japanese garden that was shedding its leaves all over the walkway


mike d wearing his newly purchased ptown shirt!


a blinged out pub, can you guess which 'nationality' they are trying to 'appeal' to?


market in downtown, kinda cool, but once you've been to camden in london you're spoiled for life


Finally 'Saltys', the 'best' seafood in Portland. On a scale of 1-10, I give it a negative 25. I'm up for paying a bit for food on occasion if its good, or if there are big portions, or there is good service or atmosphere. this had none of the above and it was expensive as HELL! How's about 25 bucks for 'fish and chips' that you get at your local pub for 6? How bout a seafood sampler starter with 3 pieces of shrimp, two small crab cakes, and some little fried niblets that they try to pass for squid.

\\ Geeze I could go on forever, but Rolando and Mike D say it best with the establishment in the background


1 comment:

SG said...

Great post..
Loved the pictures
Sounds like you had a blast..