Monday, May 12, 2008

Sail Away on a Crystal Ship in a Bottle, Gonna Say Goodbye to All my Friends on Shore

The Power of Now, Eckhart Tolle, a GEM of a book if I ever did read one. It talks of many things, basically though it speaks of what is in your control is RIGHT NOW. I could go on forever, but here's the brief.

It speaks of being super conscious, and if you are / when you are, you're able to get rid of things like fear and doubt. There is a cliche that says 'who you are is the person you are when no one is watching.' Any vices you have can be handled by becoming conscious of the now. This includes not making yourself a victim of the past, or saying that things will be better in the future. This book also falls in line with what I think leads to a good work ethic, 'control what you are doing now and your cards will fall into place.

Consciousness also helps with self image. As I take a stroll through loads of college kids with pretty bodies and a 'cool' persona, I dig down, look at my pasty white legs, appreciate them, and enjoy what I bring to the table of humanity holistically. Without being conscious, I think well maybe I need to lose my belly, or have a better complexion, or get some different shoes, or maybe my outfit isn't good enough. Then I take a deep breath and access what are the lasting attributes to make you a whole person.

It also speaks in terms of spirituality. One point, and I paraphrase, personality dies, radiance lives on in humans. When bad things happen, you can still be at peace while being sad. Also, a statement to the effect of 'time is the illusion that keeps god in check.'

Fascinating read, I'll probably pick up another one sooner or later by him. Now I'm sifting through the Ron Paul 'Revolution' along with 'Into Thin Air,' the only survivors account of the deadliest year in Everest history.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so greatful to Eckhart Tolle and Oprah for turning me onto Dr. Jill Bolte Taylor and her beautiful book ""My Stroke of Insight"". Her story is amazing and her gift to all of us is a book purchase away I'm happy to say.

Dr Taylor was a Harvard brain scientist when she had a stroke at age 37. What was amazing was that her left brain was shut down by the stroke - where language and thinking occur - but her right brain was fully functioning. She experienced bliss and nirvana and the way she writes about it (or talks about it in her now famous TED talk) is incredible.

What I took away from Dr. Taylor's book above all, and why I recommend it so highly, is that you don't have to have a stroke or take drugs to find the deep inner peace that she talks about. Her book explains how. ""I want what she's having"", and thanks to this wonderful book, I can! Thank you Dr. Taylor, and thank you Eckhart and Oprah.