Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Pretend the dove from above is a dragon and your feet are on fire

Thinking tonight -- Is it better to sell out a stadium, or to sell out a nice theater, and all the variations.

A band becomes successful by reaching the masses, or winning American Idol or what have you. Soon they are on mainstream channels of communication, next thing you know they are singing their national anthem at a large sports event, have contracts with Puma, and lets not forget the pyro.

Band sells out any 100 year old theater, 1/10th the size, fans have a 'sophistication' perhaps, or maybe the the performer has become a commodity, a has been, but either way there's an allure to the theater performer.

Granted what sells out a stadium is popularity, which is a lead in to how it relates to metaphors for life in general.

There is no popularity in a conventional trade, it's not sexy, it's not going to sell out stadiums. However, you do have a sphere of influence the more 'successful' you become. Would you rather be rich, or rather be right, do you want to 'cash in' or stay true to yourself and your trade. I used to think 'be true' and all that, but in so many ways that's a statement dismissive of hard work. Often individual don't want to invest the intellectual capital to get to the point where they can 'sell out,' so why toil with the question.

I'm working hard to get to the point where I can 'sell out.' Cuban talks about how it doesn't suck being rich, and I'd have to agree with him. I often ask people, would you rather be rich, or would you rather be right. The answers vary, and the way the question is framed is always intriguing. Some say 'I'd rather be right with myself than be rich, if that's what you mean.' -- I've always thought, 'I'm always going to be right with myself, no question about that,' -- Others say, 'well i know I'm not going to be rich ever, so I just want to be right'- as it pertains to a difference of opinion.

I'd rather be 'rich' at the sacrifice of my opinion or stance on business and technology, and I'm going to choose the vessel I think is going to get me there. Once there, I can be like Spiderman, 'With great power comes great responsibility', that's what's philanthropic, fun, challenging, inspiring.

No comments: