Sunday, December 07, 2008

And At Night, You Go to Bed and Dream that the Would Would Be Like You Want it, You got the Courage Why Not Flaunt It.

A word about hyper consumerism --

Going to a store, going to a burrito joint, going to a mall, you could argue that we've reached a gilded age for the middle class. People for the most part can afford to do almost anything, buy anything, use anything, go anywhere.

Something in me says what's morally right in seeing the mass consumerism is to seek sustainable living. I'm proud when I can pluck a lemon from the tree in the backyard and use it, I'm proud when I see a counter full of potatoes, tomatoes, onions and carrots.

I'm not proud when I see 100 plastic cups disseminated at Starbucks every hour, the packaging it takes to deliver certain goods to market, or the general passiveness of people, or people who are oblivious to the effects of all of this.

Lots of hearts and minds need to be changed, we have two choices, become more aware and conscious, or mother nature will rightfully burp us off this planet.

1 comment:

Jamie C said...

I completely agree with you on this one RB. I certainly am not a 110% environmentalist -- but I sure do try to watch what I'm doing and it BURNS ME UP watching people litter from the back of their trucks, from their car windows, or at roadside parks when you see 5 black trashbags that you KNOW are household! Grr.