Sunday, March 01, 2009

I Bring the House Down I Hardly Know, Which Way is Up or Which Way Down

These days this is the only taking head I listen to.  History repeats itself, and people get caught up in sensationalism.  I've always found it easy to hide behind 'the sky is falling' stories.  Many don't have the attention span to see past tactical day to day manuvers.

'One upping' everyone else is so rampent, I seldom engage in conversation at cocktail parties, working lunches or what have you.   Fabricated extra parts can potentially be capitalized, but volitility of the message and human nature tends these artifical growth mechanisms crumble. The truth is in the fine print, which no one reads.

A few nights ago, while painting a broad general picture of what I do and why I do it got me a rebuttal of, 'I think you're full of sh*t.'  What I've learned in life is to keep things simple and abstract until people earn more than that.  Intimacy is a sacred thing people just throw around at a whim these days.

Mechanics of a job are one thing, intuition, judgement and vision are another thing.  Some jobs require a high degree of intelligence to master the mechanics, while the latter is a different set of mastery that all starts with knowing yourself.

The more BS I hear on a typical night out on the town, I've found these differing forms of intelligence are like oil and water.  People who have mastered the mechanics of 'widget A' also assume they are experts in soft and intuitive skills, and they often condescend on people like myself, who speaks in abstracts attempting to get a feel of what's really going on.

Conceptual thinkers on the other hand, feel the mechanical thinker is engaged in a boring finite game, one whos outcome is necessary, yet predictable.

A fundamental complaint about society and its ability to 'troubleshoot', is the lack of its ability to question the status quo, or question things in themselves.  I've found that many people, once they get a decent job, a little money in the bank, are able to go to Cancun, etc, now have achieved a sucessful life, now its sustainment time, a time to dig in and fortify boundaries and dig a huge moat around my intellectual capital.

Individual responsibility is lost to the way of arrogance and it spirals up.  My car is better than yours, my house is better than yours, my political and financial ideology is better, my god is better than your god, and soon you are wedged between yes and no, right or wrong, and the holes individuals have dug, and the knots they have tied make it necessary to chose one of these poles, and shy away from the grey area like cryptonite.

The media and entertainment outlets solidify this by making stories out of boring news, by taking the doom and gloom approach, and do it in a candy coated way so people don't feel bad.  

Choke the medicine down.

No comments: