9.30am -- Tam comes to me and says 'I'm sick of this sh*t, SQL Reports, Crystal Reports, f*ck, I wish these people would make up their minds, this sh*t isn't compatible, and I don't like working with this old sh*t.
Which got me thinking about the language of a true techie, and how I'm in many ways a technologist at heart. What other jobs changes so quickly, and what more difficult of an area is integration than in technology, it's difficult to do it well (and is amazing that mother nature does it perfectly, just wait till she burps us off the planet.)
Problem with technology is a career path, I'm 'Senior Programmer,' where else do I have to go, 'Senior Senior Programmer?' Truth is I want to pursue a career in which I'm able to make decisions that count, and I really don't want to talk about data grid optimization and information technology information libraries for the next 20 years.
Different sh*t, different day at my job, that's the ONLY thing I like about it. Where else can you wear so many different hats, kinda like growing up in a small town, you could play all sports, etc. Problem is you would think one day the boat will sink, be rest assured, taxpayer dollars will keep it afloat, and be sure to jump off before it hits the iceberg.
Jobs in technology create the most interesting people, just walk around a typical IT shop and you could put a pretty good band together, collaborate and expand the imagination in regards to outer space, nanobots, codes, and surprisingly enough, history. How else would I have known the decembrists were a bunch of nobel russian (i'd say the t word, the p word, or the c word but people don't like those words) wimps that foiled the first Russian revolution.
Whatever the career (god pity the accountants), I'm glad there's great people around the world fighting the good fight, and keeping things running, so I can have food on the table, gas in the car, and a Goo Goo Dolls / Counting Crows concert (I'll be sure to bring the lighter). I wonder if the Counting Crows realized the irony of the cover of 'Big Yellow Taxi' by Joni? As for me, I diversify my stock as a human being, because a one track minded mofo ain't no fun to talk with.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment