Monday, November 07, 2005

I Want to Sail Away to a Distant Shore and Make like an Ape Man

Looks like Austin is finally making progress on urbanizing that big hunk of prime real estate that used to be the old Robert Mueller Municipal Airport . I recall back in my college days watching the planes land from the backside of the airport. I know part is going to be a children's hospital and from what I'm reading the rest seems to be up for grabs for probably posh condos, Starbucks, and cookie cutter strip malls.

I had to hop on the bike and see what the development looked like. By the time I got there it was dark and creepy, lots of cranes and such, the cranes remind me a bit of East Berlin as the wall came down and the late 90's reconstruction. It's really cool to ride your bike down a road that used to be an airplane runway. Anyway, to the left is 51st street.


In keeping up with snapping pictures in quasi dangerous driving lanes, up top I35 here, the busiest and most dangerous stretch of the interstate in the country; and it goes from Mexico to Duluth. The Kinks would call it the motor traffic rumble, as it soars down below.


Jesusland is everywhere! On 51st is 'The PromiseLand.' I snapped a picture of this building because it reminded me of back in the day when I was a young lad, I would sit and play 'The Legend of Zelda' all day, while listening to Casey's Top 40 , not to mention rockin' in the New Year with Dick Clark. Anyway, the PromiseLand's fountain reminds me of the fairy that Zelda would go to in order to regain all of his strength.


More into the seedy underbelly of Austin is the wonderful Carousel Lounge. There are no sinister clowns that attempt to lead little kids into demise, but an interesting place to catch some live music.


Even if it kills me, I'm going to follow the route of the typical Austin Hippie, and teach the Benny-meister to catch the Frisbee. Progress is already being made, here's a picture as per Ashton's request.


Great news that the Calvary of Mike Deez, Jenny will be making the trip to San Francisco to hang out with Rolando -- just so long as we aren't fighting over the GPS unit, in true geek fashion.

-----------
'Proposition 2' -- Gay Marriage Ban, 14 KKK protesting Capital Hill Austin, 3,000 people protesting KKK, lawsuits, damn what's all the hub bub about!??! -- They will probably stay married longer than a lot of 'prim-and-proper' people---

No comments: