Thursday, September 29, 2005

Learned more from a 3-Minute Record Baby, than we Ever Learned in School

Coffee culture, what can you say about it, something I didn't even know existed living in Shiner, but it's live and 'well' in every metropolitan area in the world.

Listening to random conversations lead me to random thoughts. As we stay on the subject of coffee people, its a different kind of pretentious attitude, but equally potent, and equally dorky as your typical jock who sits down to watch American football, or your typical bubba sitting down to watch Nascars race around a track. We go because we are cool, to say to people 'you ain't up on this', but the jocks rebuttal is simply, "what's the rocket's ERA?."

Around the room, as people come and go, the conversation rages from a bunch of dorks going off on misinformed tangents on how to start a business, to the girl who spent last summer in Romania with her high school friend, to the awkward and apparent internet hookup first meeting, to the dude who just knows everything and talks very loud. Meanwhile I tear thru mcsd material while Mike P tears into some code.

What is the common bond between all of us people? We're not there because we all like coffee, and I shouldn't generalize it into my all individuals are unique answer. I wouldn't think it's a place you would normally go to try to get laid, although I could be wrong. It's definitely not the place you go to dance or listen to top 40 pop brilliance. What is the bond between the college kids struggling with college algebra, the young defiant IT professionals, and the people who have all the answers?

My guess is there is a degree of emotional need that needs to be fulfilled in these individuals, and the coffee house creates the best environment to breed emotional and cultural stimulation. Of course there are anomalies, but very generally speaking these people are emotionally intelligent, or at least strive to be.

Or shit, It could just be the free wireless internet and smoothies and the cute girl with the hot ass that works behind the counter and serves you the 4 dollar coffee.

Damn, very inconclusive, needs more observation.

------------------------------------------

What I'm listening to......
The Frames - Set List
The Boss - Born in the USA

No comments: