Sunday, July 10, 2005

Freedom Road

To change one word of a Divine Comedy song I cherish --

"Well if I were to even start to tell them how it melts my heart, nevermore would my redneck friends, look me in the eye again"

This is exactly how I feel about West Texas, and the desert of Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada. It is a surreal feeling driving out there, battling the Wild West Texas Wind, the elements of extreme heat and exhaustion, and a desolute lonely feeling, that helps you get in tune with your inner self.

We are driving from Austin to Vegas tomorrow, the participants are Toshi and I. Along the way we plan on White Sands, Tuscon, Phoenix, The Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, The Navajo Indian Reservation, Las Vegas and the Blue Men, and Roswell on the way back. We will be gone till Saturday, but I'll be bloggin' like crazy along the way.

Here's a map of the trip . As the crow flies west, the trip is approximately 1,303 miles. Got the sirius radio, disk changer full, and loads of brilliant tunes to jam along the way.

Stay tuned for some pictures with aliens, tumbleweeds, some shanty houses in El Paso. First stop tomorrow night is in White Sands, New Mexico, 647.3 miles.

-------
-- 'Out in the West Texas town of El Paso, I fell in love with a Mexican Girl' --

No comments: