Thursday, July 14, 2005

Wake Me Up When It's Dark

From a civilization perspective, It's amazing how humanity colonizes one of the hottest places on earth. Temperatures reached in excess of 120 while out there. At midnight, there is hot air blowing in your face, it's crazy!

Well everything is posh lookin' over there, we stayed at Bally's, which is in the middle of the strip, right across from the big water show, and from our winder we could see the Eiffel Tower!




The trip wasn't one of the trips where boys will be boys, and I'm not a gambler, therefore the focus on the trip was some shows. The first night there, we saw the musical 'We Will Rock You', which is based on Queen tunes. I saw this in London a few years back, and here's where I'll be a snob and say the vegas show just didn't stack up for many reasons including better performers, better plot twists, and a much better theatre in Londontown. Out with the bads, the show is still amazing, especially if you are a Queen fan. In all honesty, I wanted to see Celion Dion, but the nosebleeds 115, for her to sing about her heart going on and on and on!??? Toshi took some 'illegal' pictures in the shows.


The next night we walked down to the Luxor, which in my opinion is the coolest site in Vegas. You know, the big black pyramid with the big light on the top. It's pure brilliance! Here's a picture of the strip, as seen from a walkway.


Thursday night brought us to the Blue Men Group. I was thinkin' I was going to be majorly disappointed b/c this has been hyped forever, and I've wanted to see it forever. After the performance the verdict was, I'm totally blown away! Funny, intelligent, different, amazing for 3 people and a 7 piece band. The light show was fantastic, crowd participation was great, lots of percussions, and many oddities I could go on forever about. Best thing was the music, which was just plain ol' thumpin' badass!


The ushers give you all this paper to 'decorate' yourself with, and here's my with it all around my head. This show is brilliant, pay the 75 bucks to go see it, you won't be disappointed!


After Blue Men I sat at the bar and had a handfull of NewCastles while Toshi played blackjack, then we went to Vegas Chinatown (yes they do have a pretty elaborate one there) and had some incredible Japanese food. There I was introduced to some harsh Japanese liqor which totally kicked my ass.

There are a lot of shanty houses out there in the desert, reminds me of National Lampoon's Vegas vacation. I really dug the games played in the movie, such as 'guess the number I'm thinking of' and 'paper, rock, scissor'.

The weather is hot, damn hot.

Speaking of damn, we stopped at Hoover Dam on the way in, an amazing place with amazing stats and history.



The verdict, Vegas in cool stuff -- I'm sure it is much better for a bachlor party, or if you are a gambler you are in heaven. Luckily I don't have the addictive personality, so I lost about 13.75 on the trip, gambling for a total of about 20 minutes. Lots of crazy stuff everywhere, I'm sure the back streets have a lot to offer, but the strip is somewhat family oriented with a twist or so.

No comments: