Sunday, December 11, 2005

American Analog Set - The Parish - Austin Texas -- Twilight Twilight Show

Walking sixth street with the smoking ban is interesting. You see a pack of smokers outside almost every club. Serious kudos for the girls walking about in tube tops in the 50 degree weather. They must be going to a hip club or something, wanting to look pretty for all the hot guys.

What can you say about a night of inspiring music? It's amazing how thru the course of a gig you can go from shitty mood to great mood, if the music is right. You can't really describe brilliance, or figure out how to promote it higher than the next, brilliance speaks for itself, and that's just what was on tap for the evening.

Chris Brokaw, the opener, amazing guitarist from Boston to Austin, sitting there with his Martin guitar and tambourine strapped to his foot, keeping rhythm and playing the easiest I can describe as 'complicated' music. A great melody he played about 'a city in East Germany that we bombed to hell one night', I'm assuming Dresden, in which 135,000+ were killed in one night of firebombing. After his set, I could only imagine what the likes of American Analog Set would be.

Voice, first thing recognized. I don't know what type of mic's are used, but the soft melodies allow even the inhale of breathe to be heard over the drums. Talk about subtle undertones, a tight and technical band, this is AmAnSet.

Audiophiles would go ga-ga at this gig. Loads of interesting sounds, but you can't see an effect pedal anywhere. I suppose a few reasons they are dubbed analogue are the use of Fender Rhodes, a close cousin of the Xylophone, lead singer's guitar looks like a bass, but it isn't a bass, and other old looking equipment.

Watching AmAnset and their sincerity, I wanted to be in a rock band. Watching them shows me that I have an affinity towards a rock star attitude. I also have videos if anyone wants them.

Serious props for the boys in the band not 'selling out', staying true to the their trade, producing a sound that isn't easily digestible to pop culture, but I suppose I like it better that way.

Hopefully they WILL be like KISS, and keep 'going away' but not really going away.

No comments: