Friday, December 30, 2005

Old 97's - La Zona Rosa - Austin, Texas

Curse the rain that turns the dust to mud! Let's see, how do I give these boys a proper writeup. First I suppose I can share an idea or two that came for the chick beside me who I conversed with later in the night. Rhett is a 'sexy dork', full of charisma, he seems to be loaded all the time, but in a good way, and Murry, the 'rock' of the band sorta keeps it all together. Rhett, born in ATX, now resides in the Hudson Valley, but he assures us it's in the country.


If you are looking for subtle tunes, you're not going to find that, but you will find a good times band with heart and substance, which are lyrically sound and timeless.

Favorite song of the evening was Nightclub, in which Rhett tells tales of the nightclub that stole his youth, and maybe he will get drunk and burn the nightclub down, and how telephones make strangers out of lovers. The rest of the night was packed with priceless words of wisdom, lots of videos, I'll just take it song at at time, and if you don't watch any vids, watch the first one and watch the legs swagger, priceless!

Barrier Reef (2.7 meg) - The opener in which, in which describes him mackin' on a chick, "My name's Stewart Ransom Miller, I'm a serial lady-killer." Also, being an born in Austin lots of local flavor 'Trip the Lights Fantastic', which is the light store over on Burnett road. Classic!

Wish the Worse (12.1 meg) - A highly vindictive song, in which says, "I hope you crash your mother's car, I hope you pass out in some bar, I hope you catch some kinda flu" and bordering on neuritic and obsessiveness "Why aren't you here, it's almost 4 am, I finished off all of your beer, now I'm starting on your gin."

Rollerskate Skinny (10.8 meg) - Brings you the line, "I believe in love, but it don't believe in me." nuff said.

Salome (5.66 meg) - A page out of Sandler and The Wedding Singer's book, you know when he wrote half the song with the chick and half without. Linda was her name, and Rhett sings it with as much passion, an occasional violent jerk and he shrugs off memories of lost loves.

Question (6 meg) (French Version) - He said the Frenchies wanted him to record the song in French because it did so well in their country. Say what you want about the French, but they do have bada$$ taste in music.

Question (12.2 meg) (English Version) - Just a damn sweet song, that gives a rush to every female in the building.

Valentine (20.6 meg) - When a song is a masterpiece, everyone can sing along with ease and joy.

Valium Waltz (7.08 meg) - Speaks of a girl from Marble Falls who goes to Nuevo Laredo and discovers pills.

Designs on You (45.7 meg) - Talks about a pickup artist on 6th street trying to convince a chick for 'one last hurray' in the sack before marriage. Such a great tune!

I'll leave everyone with Mr Cool Lip, singin' songs about west Texas, playing a wicked bass, and holding like a gun, pullin' the trigger with the strings.


A night of music that leaves me high on life, but damn, the back sure does start hurt when you have to fight weirdos to get to front row. And for the teenies who I pissed off who stared at my bald head the entire night, General Admission = General Admission, get over it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mush file. What a rockin' show! I apologize for my sporadic shrieks in the background of your audio! pam