Thursday, May 04, 2006

----

I was going to quote a cheesy White Lion lyric for the title, but lyrically I'm at a loss for a night hanging out with the nephews.

This was a challenging night friends, a night in which I was for two to three hours with a four year old and a two year old. Lets see, things that freak me out, merely because I'm not used to dealing with kids....

  1. The boys want to go swimming, I say no because I wasn't informed of this, the pool is not inflated, and there is sand all over it. Kyle puts on his trunks anyway, Collin gets mad kyle puts on his trunks. Both insist on swimming, I hold firm.
  2. Collin pee pee's in his swim trunks, starts to cry, I beg him to put his pullup back on, which I find to be wet also, so I get a new one, he's royally ticked off he's got to put this back on while Kyle is pimpin' his swim trunks
  3. Later Collin loses his band aid on his toe, starts to cry till I agree to go push him on the swing.
  4. The boys get antsy and rowdy, and I tell them, 'if you are nice to me and don't give me a hard time, since I'm new to this, I'll take y'all on a wagon ride.' They both become nice to me and we go around the block.
  5. Getting home, general things keep me busy with these dudes, until mom and dad finally make it home and offer some relief and wisdom as it applies to parenthood.

Can't really understand the kid thing AT ALL yet, If I ever have kids, I'll be in for a rude awakening one day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! This is a funny freakin post!!! It's hard to have that rock and roll/techie geek lifestyle with a diaper bag in tow, huh? Hope you didnt poop your big boy pants babyshitting! ROTFLMMFAO!!!!

Anonymous said...

An experience, well equipped dad watches the Tomaseks.

A couple of days later after this post, it was my turn to watch Kyle and Collin for a couple of hours as the mothers shopped and Robert T took a nap after his drive to Sugarland.
It was much less traumatic for me and less humorous in general.

1. Bikes – Grant/Meagan pulled out our 4 tricycles, 1 bike with training wheels, 2 ride on toys, 1 ride-on electric car and I parked myself with a book (It Can’t Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis – 1936) in the shade tree and watched the fun begin..

2. Ice Cream – After 30 minutes of riding bikes, they started to complain of being hot, so I sent Meagan in to get them all Frozen popsicles which they devoured in short order.

3. Lemon-aid anyone? – As the boys continued on the bikes, my daughter and friends built a lemon-aide stand in our front yard. Kyle and Collin helped sell lemon-aid to the passing by cars, really they were just there to put on their puppy-dog face to stop the cars. The Tomasek kids got a dollar for marketing and I got 36 cents for the rent of my corner lot for the stand…

4. New toys – We moved inside where Collin was enthralled with Grant/Gavins toys. They liked his guns and Wiggle guitar the best. I moved inside and kept reading.

5. Game Cube – No experience at the Gillar’s would be complete without some serious Game Cube time. Grant brought Kyle upstairs and taught him the fine art of Sonic the Hedgehog.

6. Keys – While I read and Kyle/Grant Game Cubed, Collin and Gavin busied themselves with a set of keys going out each door and figuring out how to lock and unlock it.

7. Tired -Robert T and the mothers came home after a couple of hours. I hid my book and told them I was tired from exercising with their kids, feeding them, giving them an economics lessons, computer training and teaching them about home saftey. I needed a rest, so I went in my room to continue my book.

Watching kids is a little easier after a couple of years of experience.