Monday, May 15, 2006

Over the Mountains, Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow

From Munich I head to Neunkirchen, which is a stretch across the country from East to West to visit some old Shiner friends who have relocated to Germany. Trip trip is a few hundred miles, and I go thru places like Mannheim, Heidelberg, and Homburg.

I haven't seen Mike, Jim and Tina in about 5 years, in many ways they are like second family to me, they always treat me like a king when I visit. Jim met Tina while he was in the service, and Mike is about my age, he recently reclaimed his German citizenship, after big time hassel-hoff.

Mike and Jim in the backyard of their place in from of the Texas style BBQ pit.


That evening we took a moped ride thur a few villages, Spiesen-Elversburg, lots of scenic hills and such, take a gander at this video from a place called the Elversburg Turm.


Well the moped doesn't look impressive, and yes, the engine is 50cc, a little bit bigger than your average lawn mower, but it gets about 75 mpg, and for small trips around town its perfect. Don't I just look sexy in front of that machine!


Later that night was Bratwurst time, those suckers were so fresh, we had to boil first, then pop them on the grill. There's something to be said about the food and beer in the country. Sure we have German beer and sausage we can buy here, but most of the time its not as fresh as it can be, especially the beer. Eating that stuff and drinking the beer when it's fresh is amazing. **We still make better hamburgers, it's like us having to ship Burger Tex hamburgers to Germany, they wouldn't be fresh by the time they arrive.


The next few days I'd hang out with my old friends catching up on life, gossip, and other things.

No comments: