You see a few around, but for the most part there is a noticeable absence of black athletes in the winter Olympics, funny considering they dominate the summer Olympics. Chris Rock says it best in one of his standups, and I paraphrase. 'Just wait till they make a heated hockey rink, wait till you see Lebron on skates, he won't even need a stick, he'll just wack that puck around with his dick.' hahaha
Nationalism, in any regard, hmmm, I suppose I could make a big deal about it. I'm 'proud to be an American' and all that jazz, and I find myself pulling for the Deutsch in many cases, but for the most part, I'm impartial and don't cheer for athletes based on nationality. I go for the underdog, the long shots, the people with the coolest disposition, and of course if you throw a pre-event sob story in there, it will more than likely touch my heart, and I'm 'go team go.'
So far it's got me hooked, I love em' and I plan to beach myself all week long and watch as much as I can. I think its great to have 'friendly competition' on a global scale.
------------
As for the daily dose of cynicism and contradiction, I'll leave it to Noam Chomsky.
"Sports plays a societal role in engendering jingoist and chauvinist attitudes. They're designed to organize a community to be committed to their gladiators. "
"I'm freezing my royal Rastafarian na-nas off!" -- Sanka

No comments:
Post a Comment