Sunday, February 26, 2006

Sigur Ros - Bass Concert Hall

Site back and enjoy the show, man o man, what a night for lights, and a band / light show that left me feeling 'weird' inside. The sold out months in advance Sigur Ros show left this musical snob in awe.

Out with the bad, for a dude that enjoys lyrics as much as I do, singing in broken Icelandic or tongues, or whatever, doesn't leave a whole lot for interpretation. The whole strumming the guitar with a fiddle bow has been done by Paige 30+ years ago, and the half note, whole note, double whole note combinations seemed to drag on here and there.

In with the good, I don't brag to my friends that I know Sigur Ros is from Iceland, nor do I really care where they are from, what I do care about is that they have dug out their own personal niche and have created their own identity in the indie world. I don't even care that their latest effort is on a major label.

I can speak volumes for their percussionist, some of the best deviation of soft to hard sound I've ever heard, very powerful and moving. Couldn't have asked for better seats, third row, first balcony. The crappy video coming from my little camera is still surprisingly good.

The screen 'covering' the band for the opening number made for one hell of an optical allusion, and the last song you could categorize as 'loud as fuck,' but brilliant. They've won my heart since the Radiohead, Kid A tour, while watching in Paris out of the music loop thinking, damn who are these guys. Years later they are still making a go of it, further etching out their sound, and doing a great job at it.


For tonight and tonight only, I won't harp on the lack of lyrics. Grade A performance, perfect band to see in Bass Concert Hall.

Humble, after the encore, coming out and bowing for the audience. I appreciate that in bands, bands that are appreciative of the crowd, bands that aren't too big for their britches.

No comments: