Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Sing Along with the Common People

I intended for this posting to be about how the poor protect the wealthy, and how growing up in a small town has influenced my life, just as I started to get going with it, Rachel, my english friend zipped me a message.

Having met on hotornot.com in 2002, we've collaborated about our two different countries, politics of our nations, health care, and general in's and out's of life. A fun Person to talk to, always smiling and always staying positive.

I had the distinct pleasure of meeting her a few years ago visiting Big Neil in bloody England. After a killer day at Wimbledon, I took the tube out to Harrow, hung out with her and her buds Adam and Sinead, ate, stole a stella pint glass, and actually went to Safeway to buy tea and crumpets! I was happy to have finally tried a crumpet, although once I've ate one, they are not good at all.

She is the English version of a crazy driver, similar to myself as she whips her little Ford around these roundabouts at blazing speeds, as I constantly grab for the 'O SHIT' handles. Well there's Mr Baldy and Rachel in her humble abode in Harrow.


Years later, Rachel got to visit Austin, and a Texas tour was in order, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Shiner and Dallas in a very short amount of time. The live music scene in Austin was explored, saw Groupo at Emo's and she was introduced to the 'huge f*ckoff buildings' as she referred to capitalist America.

The Alamo and the Riverwalk, and no sign of Ozzy with his wang out about to piss on anything.


We went to see Waylon Jennings in Billy Bob's, Ft. Worth, the largest honkey tonk in Texas. A healthy dose of country dancing in order for the evening!

Putting all these pictures out there of my sexy ass (haha, yea, ummm, right), may as well put one more, Manuelabor and I near the place JFK got shot, saw the angle, etc. Highly recommend the museum to anyone.


The world is a small place, it's getting 'flatter' too, I'll tell you more about it when I'm done reading 'The World is Flat,' so far an excellent read. Having international friends helps keep me in touch with what's going on in the world, a first person perspective for a dude that isn't necessarily up on current events.

One of these days we may be able to pull a Star Trek and I can warp over to see lovely people like Rachel, until then, the dreaded toast to Absent Friends.

---------------
"I'm meeting people, nice people too, I'm meeting people, nice people like you." --Gordon of The Violent Femmes

1 comment:

Rachel said...

My Irish friends and I will never forget RBs trip to London when he had us all saying "THAT WAS BAD ASS"!! And the time he stole a Stella Artois lager glass from my local pub! Nearly two years later as I reflect on my fab trip to the US of A, I am sat here in good old England and its minus 3 degrees outside and snowing! Anyway, here goes - Manwell was a true Mexican/gentleman, Jenny was ace as she took me girly shopping, Jon was crazy - just like boozin Susan, Bobby and he wife were cool (I still play my Sheryl Crow cd!), Mike P and Mike D were great fun, RBs family were all kind - and his nephew is just gorgeous!! Oh, did I forget Casey? Well I am sure he knows what I could have written here but I wont! Elmos was fantastic (CS!), Billy Bobs was a true eye-opener - all washed down with Whisky and Diet LIME Coke! By the way, we still dont have Diet CHERRY Coke here - which is a bummer! Its true - Texas is huuuuge, but not as huge as my friend RB's . . . heart!