Sunday, August 14, 2005

The Kindest Truths Are Often Spoke, But Never Heard - Ben Folds - Tulsa

I have a kinship with Ben Folds. If we were to have grown up together, he would have been my best friend. Typical Indie band, meet your daddy, he's Ben Folds. He presents himself with earnest charm, intelligence, wit, humility, the sincere kind you just can't fake. He has a merited humble arrogance, simply because he knows he has more figured out than your average Joe, and he's good at his trade, damn good. An extremely versatile human being, worth every word of praise. Enough talk about my chubby for Ben Folds and on to the show.

Ashley, Leslie and I left ATX at 10am to arrive in Tulsa a tad bit before 6pm, to hear that the show as moved to the Bradley Theatre in fear of bad weather. The Bradley Theatre therefore was packed to the rafters with people anticipating an ampitheatre. In talking to 20 or so people in the Audience, about 1/4 of them had made the trip up to Austin, which makes me proud in so many ways to get that sorta representation.

Ben Lee, a good friend of Ben Folds opened the evening, as I took a video clip of Catch My Disease. A great performance, the 4th I've seen him, this time the band was tight, and the harmonies were perfect.
-----------------------------
What I'm about to describe, I so wish I could give it justice, but for words I will be at a loss.

Ben Folds is introspective, he speaks from the heart, and in very simple, straight forward fashion, leaving nothing to hide, something I sincerely admire in his music. A man who has been exposed to more than we can imagine, yet he speaks with great tact, wit, and elegance, and humor.

Well there he is, sorta to the right of the picture, sittin' on his little stool, pounding away at the piano. Alas, the only shot I got of him, but please check out the VIDEOS throught this prose.


He started out with Bastard, then moved on to Jesusland (view clip), where he proclaims 'Crosses Flying High Above the Malls', explaining the irony of modern day religion.

Later in the show was cover time. Something that was to come was amazing, a song that's been in my head off and on for the past year or two, Careless Whisper (view clip), a George Michael cover, once in which Rufus, the headliner came out and sang along with Ben. An amazing trip down memory lane as I recall watching the video on TBS Night Tracks on Saturday nights when I was a young lad. If you don't know the song and don't watch the video, I'm sure you know the chorus, 'I ain't ever gonna dance again, guilty feet have got no rhythm.' Just pure brilliance on everyone's part, sending a quiver down my back. Then it was time for the vulgar cover, not for the week at heart, Bitches Ain't Shit (view clip) -- originally by Dr Dre. Nothing like a skinny white boy covering some gangsta rap. I must say, when he slams down on the piano, the entire place sounds like thunder, and that shit just rings thru your entire body.

Ben Folds is also a person who has got it together in life, someone who I look up to for guidance and support on life's tough ones. He's got a lovely wife, as he dedicated the song The Luckiest (view clip) to, and two kids, to whom he also did dedications to, Good Morning Son, and Gracie. Simple lines such as 'And where was I before the day I first saw your lovely face' make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

At the end of the show, he prepped for Rufus (view clip) to take the stage, as he was standing on top of the piano and conducting the audience.

We stayed 3 songs for Rufus, but in any case, you put a high energy show right before an intimate performance, it just doesn't work to well.

I was ready to kick some ass after the show, instead we had to drive back home, a tad bit shy of 500 miles for Sharepoint training. It's a cruel joke when you see signs that say Oklahoma City -- 142, followed by Dallas -- 197, Austin - 155, well you get the picture.

Waffle House virgins Ashley and Leslie seemed to scarf down the goods, in anticipation for the long drive home. Sad thing about it was I burned 20 cd's for the trip, but didnt' finalize them, therefore none worked. ==


Person Notes, when I see Ben Folds, he reminds me that life is going to be OK. He reinforces that I'll have it all figured out, and he's that orgasmic feeling you have that only comes along .001% of the time, well maybe more for others I suppose.

I'm back in Texas, going to get my work on tomorrow, while Ben is rockin' Arkansas tonight. Was it worth the trip, definately, and twice on Sunday. As we got back to ATX around 6.30 this morning, nothing but good thoughts are in my mind, and a big fat smile on my face.

All the wrong turns, the stumbles and fall did lead me here, and I can't think of a better place to be. We're all in this together as Ben Lee would say, Life is Good, and I cherish all of you fine people --

No comments: